During my recent short blogging hiatus, I missed sharing some lovely homemade treats with you. These pistachio and orange cakes were made with a vintage tea in mind. They reminded me of a era gone by but were exceedingly enjoyed by us modern girls (and even the kids). There are lots of ingredients so maybe enjoy just at very special occasions!
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup roasted pistachios, chopped coarsely
2 cups SR flour
2/3 cup milk
1 tbls icing sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
2 tsp gelatine
2 tbls water
125g cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 tbls lemon juice
1/2 tsp orange essence
1 cup marscapone
300g thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 180 c. Grease 2 22cm spingform tins and line base with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until combined.
- Stir in nuts, sifted flour and milk, in 2 batches.
- Spread mixture into tins, bake about 40 mins. cool
- Make filling by sprinkling gelatine over the water in a heatproof bowl. Stand jug in saucepan of simmering water. Stir until gelatine dissolves. Cool 5 mins.
- Beat cheese, sugar, juice and essence until smooth. Add marscapone; beat until combined. Stir in gelatine mixture; fold in cream.
- Split cakes in half. Cut out circles with cookie cutter. Dollop filling on half of cake circles, and top with remainder. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Serve dusted with sifted icing sugar and cardamom.