School book covering has come a long way since brown paper.
Contact has come and (largely) gone.
Now plastic book covers are the new black.
But they aren't cheap when you have to buy a pile.
So last year I tried my hand at making some fabric book covers.
I used largish scraps so they cost me nothing.
I'm pleased to say that they handled the in-out-in-out of the tidy tub well and, after a quick wash, are being reused on school books this year.
Since I could explain how to make them by saying 'wrap it like a gift and sew where you would put sticky tape', there is probably no need for me to show you a tutorial.
But, just in case you'd like to see, here are my instructions:
Lay your exercise book out flat and cut a fabric rectangle about 3cm larger on all sides.
Overlock or zig zag the edges.
Optional: cut a 10x10cm square of clear plastic and sew it to the front of the book cover, leaving one edge open (for a name tag to slide in later). I find it easier to use a walking foot with my machine, and to leave a 2cm edge when sewing, which can be trimmed down later.
Lay the book in the centre of the fabric and, yes, wrap it like a gift.
Pin and sew the book corner together. I find hand sewing easier (and more therapeutic!)
Do the same for all four corners. Remove the book. Press.
Pop the book back in. Add a cardboard name tag if you have made a window.
Repeat for 25 books (or more if you have more than two kids in school!)
Your girls will have the best looking books in school Katherine. Lovely work!
ReplyDeleteThis post answered my questions.
ReplyDelete